Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sour Cherry 'Cobbler'

Because no one should ever go food shopping on an empty stomach, I ate this mangled excuse for a star-shaped donut.  But it was tasty, and festive!










I failed at an artisan bread attempt, so I hope to try again this week.  Either my yeast was wonky (the date was fine) or my husband distracting me with a trip to the mall had something to do with it.  I did, however, have one success…
Remember these beauties?








I decided to make a cobbler/cake/pie (not really sure how to categorize this baked good) with the sour cherries from the farmers’ market.  Pitting them took some time, and a few of the juicy fruits were lost as snacks, but eventually I got them into the dish and mixed with some sugar.  Side note: my mother always seems to call when I’m in cooking, and this time was no exception.







I poured a simple batter over the top…







…sprinkled on a few sliced almonds, and baked for 45 minutes in a 350-degree oven until the cake-y top browned and the filling bubbled.







I had to taste it right away; I couldn’t wait for it to cool, so I dug in with a spoon immediately.  Oh my god, it was so good.  The top was buttery & moist, and the filling was the right amount of sweet with a little pucker.  (I made an embarrassing dent, which I did not photograph.)
Here’s my recipe:
Ingredients
  • 2 heaping cups of pitted sour cherries
  • ½ cup of sugar (more or less depending on the tartness of your berries)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ cup sliced almonds (optional)
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix cherries with the ½ cup of sugar and pour into pie plate or cake pan.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, remaining sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract and salt.  Stir until the batter is smooth.  Pour batter evenly over cherries.  Sprinkle sliced almonds over the top, if using.
Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until the surface is lightly browned & the filling bubbles.
Let sit for a few minutes to cool, if you can stand to wait, then scoop to serve.  It’s delicious as-is, but a scoop of vanilla ice cream never hurts anything.
(I just finished a dish of this reheated for breakfast...yum)

No comments:

Post a Comment